Pioneer taxes

Helping taxpayers resolve their past-due accounts

Avoid scams

The IRS has selected four private collections agencies, including Pioneer, to work on its behalf for this program. 

If any other company claims to be working on this program for the IRS, it is likely a scam. 

The IRS and Pioneer will contact taxpayers first through letters of notice.

What to expect

Fair treatment and quality service. A collection agent will confirm you are aware of your rights as a taxpayer under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, as we comply with debt collection rules and consumer protections.

Letters of notice. The first contact you’ll receive is the CP40 letter from the IRS stating that collection responsibilities have been turned over to an agency and informing you of your taxpayer rights. You’ll also receive a separate letter from Pioneer. Both letters will provide you with a unique identifier. Please have your unique identifier available when calling.

Methods of contact: letters and phone calls. Letters and phone calls will be the only ways we reach out to taxpayers. At this time, private collection agencies like Pioneer working on behalf of the IRS do not use email or text messages.

Secure process. During each phone call, we identify we are calling from Pioneer Credit Recovery, a contractor for the IRS. An agent will take you through the authentication process to verify your identity. Please have your unique identifier (see above) available when calling.

Payment. Payments will be made to the IRS directly, not Pioneer.

Extra help if needed. You have the right to receive assistance from the Taxpayer Advocate Service for a variety of reasons, such as if you are experiencing financial difficulty.

Learn more about your rights as a taxpayer from the IRS’s Taxpayer Bill of Rights >

This is an attempt, by a debt collector, to collect a debt, and any information obtained will be used for that purpose.